Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world’s most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is looking for a Head of Revenue who will build out and lead the full cycle revenue and Order to Cash functions at a hyper-growth SaaS company, including sales contract review and management, customer billing and collection responsibilities, and revenue operations and reporting. The ideal candidate for this role is fluent with 606 as it pertains to SaaS, technology savvy, proactive and strategic!
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Oversee the revenue policy per ASC 606 for all revenue streams (subscription and professional services). Implement a systematic process to ensure proper recognition of revenue, deferred revenue and un-billed receivables. Act as the in-house expert on the revenue policy and advise on the accounting implications of non-standard financial terms and modifications on sales contracts.
- Collaborate with sales and services to create and maintain a set of “audit proof” evidence that supports delivery of each performance obligation to substantiate revenue recognition.
- Manage the Order to Cash function responsible for sales contract review and management, validation of data in Salesforce and NetSuite against the contract and revenue policy, invoicing and collection. Be a strategic partner to build the scalable and efficient processes across FP&A, legal, sales, services, marketing, products, etc.
- Design and improve revenue and O2C tools and software that integrate with related policies and systems seamlessly; generate reliable and timely financial data and metrics; optimize operational efficiency and salability; and enforce public-company ready internal controls in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Own global sales tax compliance and filing requirements. Manage the team that builds a comprehensive workflow that encompasses periodic evaluation of sales tax exposure and requirements on international, state and local level; obtain and reviewing sales tax exemption certificates; collect and remit sales taxes as appropriate; ensure timely and accurate filing of sales tax filings; and perform related reconciliations.
- Account for incremental sales costs and contract fulfillment costs in accordance with ASC 340.
- Create a partnership with cross functional leadership to keep abreast of the business priorities and strategies to generate meaningful financial insight and KPIs in evaluating the historical trend, planning and forecasting of cash and key A/R metric. Design and perform quarterly evaluation of A/R reserves.
- Lead, coach, mentor and train the team; take an active interest in their career and development; find ways to continue their growth and development.
- Participate in month/quarter/year-end accounting close. Ensure that financial data entered by the revenue and O2C team is accurate and in accordance with GAAP.
- Lead or assist on special projects as needed (e.g. audits, compliance filings, system implementation, etc.).
- BS/BA in Accounting or equivalent with a strong understanding of GAAP, general ledger structure, and financial statements
- Minimum 6 years of experience working directly in revenue and O2C roles, with an emphasis on building systems and technical expertise. Must have a minimum 2 years of managing a team
- Experience adopting ASC 606 required
- Experience in high-growth SaaS environment with subscription and service products required.
- Experience in public accounting and public company a plus
- High proficiency using the NetSuite Advanced Revenue Management module in multi-currencies required
- Strong MS Office Suite skills including VLOOKUP, if functions, pivot tables, etc.
- Proficiency using FloQast a plus
- Analytical and motivated to self-educate; able to identify and report relevant issues to management for timely and accurate resolution
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Must be able to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and demands
- Versatile, enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects and tasks
- Ability to communicate effectively with teammates and various levels of management as well as external contacts
- Reliability with strong work ethic, maturity and professionalism to handle confidential data
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission